HOME >News

Master’s studies in media and communication

Friday 20 November 2015, by SIGNIS

Brussels, Bonn, Guwahati, November 20th, 2015 (SIGNIS/CM Paul/ DW Akademie). Are you interested in media and communications studies? Here are two interesting master’s courses.

The first is in Germany, at the University of Bonn. The Master’s Programme “International Media Studies” was launched in 2009. Since then, 200 students from over 70 countries have been accepted into the programme at Deutsche Welle Akademie, Germany’s leading organization for international media development.

This Master’s Programme is especially designed for graduates from developing and transition countries with previous media experience. The IMS programme is a joint project of the University of Bonn, the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences and Deutsche Welle. DW Akademie offers a perfect learning environment for up to 30 students per year.

The bilingual study programme is conducted in English and German combining topics such as media and development, journalism, communication science and media economics. The full-time, four-semester Master’s degree offers an unparalleled mix of research, lectures and practical experience and prepares students for careers in the communications and media industries. Students conclude the course with a Master’s thesis and receive the academic degree “Master of Arts” (M.A.).

Successful applicants need to provide proof of their language skills in both German and English. They must have a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent qualification as well as at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field after having obtained their first academic title.

Students from developing and transition countries can apply for a full scholarship (750€ per month and refund of travel costs, covering the tuition fees of 6,000 EUR).
Detailed information on the Master’s programme, admission requirements and online application procedure can be found on the website www.ims-master.de. Applications for next year, starting in September 2016, will be accepted until the 31st March 2016.

The second Master’s course is at the Assam Don Bosco University Guwahati. The Master’s is called Mass communication “Convergent Media & Technologies”. It’s a very ambitious course to train communication officers for social media through “backpack journalism”. The aim is to train and equip graduates in any stream to create and provide content for all social media platforms (YouTube, podcasts, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc).

The degree is ideal for NGOs, church, religious and secular Institutions. A priest from South Sudan and a Sister from Thailand are already doing the programme. The trained person will be able to handle PR, media management, produce radio and video programmes as well as do still photography and design and manage web sites.
The cost is far cheaper than doing it elsewhere in Europe or America: a little over 400€ for Indians, for 2 years – course fees and hostel charges; for East Asians, it’s slightly higher, but sponsorships are possible).

30 seats are available for the programme.

Have a look at The Campus Life Video made by the students

the promo video of our “Convergent Media & Technology” course