HOME >Our action >Digital World

Playing video games may sharpen skills learned at school.

Thursday 11 August 2016, by SIGNIS

Melbourne, August 11th, 2016 (RMIT). According to the newest research from RMIT University (Australia), “teenagers who regularly play online video games tend to improve their school results”.

According to the study, “playing video games may sharpen skills learned at school”, while students who visit Facebook or chat sites every day are more likely to fall behind in maths, reading and science.

Associate Professor Alberto Posso, from RMIT’s School of Economics, Finance and Marketing, investigated the results of testing by the globally recognised Program for International Student Assessment (PISA).

PISA tested more than 12,000 Australian 15-year-olds in math, reading and science, as well as collecting data on the students’ online activities. Posso noted that “Students who play online games almost every day score 15 points above the average in math and 17 points above the average in science. When you play online games you’re solving puzzles to move to the next level and that involves using some of the general knowledge and skills in math, reading and science that you’ve been taught during the day”.

He even added that teachers should incorporate video games in their teaching methods.

While playing video game seems to be good for the brain, the study shows that using Facebook and other chat website worsens school’s results. “Students who are regularly on social media are, of course, losing time that could be spent on study – but it may also indicate that they are struggling with math, reading and science and are going online to socialise instead. Teachers might want to look at blending the use of Facebook into their classes as a way of helping those students engage.”

The research, “Internet usage and educational outcomes among 15-year-old Australian students” has been published in the International Journal of Communication.