HOME >Our action >Media Education

5 free mobile apps to improve media literacy

Wednesday 16 December 2015, by SIGNIS

Brussels, Washington, December 16th, 2015 (The 419/SIGNIS). A useful short article on the website the419.com highlights 5 free mobile apps that will help you improve your media literacy skills. According to the article "Media literacy and digital citizenship are trending focus areas when it comes to the intersection of education and technology. With so many media options bombarding students, teachers and parents on a daily basis, it is vital to make sure everyone understands how to use digital media tools."

Flipboard: Your News Magazine (iOS, Android, Free)

Flipboard can turn social network updates into a personalized, digital magazine. According to 419, "Students can use this sensational service for researching pretty much any topic and following current events, and then apply their findings to a school project. ...We are often compulsive in our usage of social media, which can sometimes feel like white noise. By using Flipboard, students can focus on the correlation between social networking and the germane content."

Animoto Video Maker (iOS, Android, Free with in-app purchases)

"With Animoto Video Maker, middle school and high school students can pluck photos from their camera roll and arrange a custom slideshow...Students can become curators of not just content, but context."

Skype (iPhone, iPad, Android, Free)

"Media literacy and digital citizenship go hand-in-hand with Skype. ... From a student perspective, these interactions will teach them how to behave when using video conferencing early in their academic careers, allowing them to meet people from all over planet Earth".

Tackk – Create and Chat (iOS, Android, Free)

"Tackk is a serviceable tool for creating visual designs that incorporate photos and text. After a painless sign up process (requiring an email address) users can pick from more than 20 categories, including Architecture, Education and Blogging. From there, they can connect with other Tackk community members, including folks from their contacts list or featured users."

TED (iOS, Android, Free)

"TED Talks are among the best video venues for inspirational, intellectually stimulating, and enthusiastic experts from pretty much every educational field to share their academic findings and points of view. The TED mobile app continues the organization’s legacy of insight and imagination, providing amazing primary sources for student projects and research papers."