HOME >Our action >Media Education

Communications seminar in Nigerian diocese of Ijebu-Ode

Wednesday 13 April 2016, by SIGNIS

Brussels, April, 13th, 2016 (SIGNIS). The Social Communication Commission of the Catholic Diocese of Ijebu-Ode held a training Seminar, for communicators, “Communication and Mercy”, on 7th and 8th April in Ijebu-Ode, in order to improve evangelization.

Among the media professionals taking part were: Rev. Fr. Charles Soyombo, director of social communication and editor of The Rock newspaper; Mr. Lekan Olagunju, former editor, Independent newspaper; Dr. Sola Ishola, IAS, University of Ibadan; Bro. Rosario Anthony, Missionary of Mercy.

The Catholic diocese of Ijebu-Ode is one of the many who annually present media projects to the Pontifical Mission Societies, and they have received help to make use of modern communication tools.

In 2012, a synod of bishops was held at the Vatican with the focus on “The new evangelization for the transmission of the Christian faith”; and since then, efforts have doubled at the various levels of the Church in Nigeria to implement the insights of the synod. Similarly, the Pope’s message for the 47th World Communication Day titled “Social Networks: Portals of Truth and Faith, New Spaces for Evangelization” has given an impetus for new evangelization with the use of modern technology.

The Catholic Bishop’s Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) has been promoting this at the national, regional, provincial and diocesan levels.