HOME >Our action >Media Education

Enhancing media education through media tour

Tuesday 12 January 2016, by SIGNIS

Kurio City, Brussels, January 12th, 2016 (Navhindtimes/SIGNIS). As part of its commitment to quality education, departments of Journalism and Mass Communication at St Xavier’s College, Mapusa organised a four-day study tour to Hyderabad for students. A total of thirty one final year media students along with six teaching and two non-teaching staff visited various media houses within the city of Nawabs.

On the very first day of setting foot in Hyderabad, students visited Nutshell Advertising Agency. Students were shown how the small company came up with interesting advertising and marketing campaigns for clients. Simplicity and minimalism is what they stressed upon. It was a perfect place for students to understand how fresh graduates can plan on starting their own ad agency.

Students then visited Maa TV media house. Maa TV is a regional television channel that has been taken over by STAR. Students were taken to every department of the channel to understand work processes. Assistant general manager, Maa TV, Victor Ratnam, took students to Annapurna Studios where most shows are shot.

On day two students made their way to Pragati Printing Press. Founded in the 1960s by Shri Paruchuri Hanumantha Rao, Pragati has grown impressively over the years. The awards displayed in their lobby flaunt not only its success at being the best but also of being the only establishment to recycle all of discarded material. Students were walked through an elaborate three-stage printing process using heavy machinery and a huge team of skilled staff – all of which contribute to Pragati’s hallmark quality product. Managing Director of Pragati, Narendra Paruchuri gifted departments with a beautiful 3D book called My India.

Kala Jyoti was the next stop. Having been in the business for more than 60 years, Kala Jyoti has clientele like Forbes, Outlook, Better Photography and Fortune to name a few. Once again students were taken behind the scenes to witness how simple metallic encrypted sheets were processed to print 42000 sheets per hour all bound and packed to become tabloids we see on newsstands.

A media tour to Hyderabad is incomplete without a visit to Ramoji film city. The visit was both enjoyable and learning experience for students as well as faculty.