HOME >Our action >Radio

Training programme for Nigerian radio presenters

Tuesday 27 September 2016, by SIGNIS

Lagos, September, 27th, 2016 (AllAfrica). City FM, a private Radio Station based in Lagos, Nigeria, has introduced a media academy, a vocational training programme and capacity development, to train young minds in the industry. The academy is the organisation’s Corporate Social Responsibility initiative.

According to the Chief Executive Officer of the company, Adedoja Allen, the academy was set up because of influx of interns coming into the industry with the hope of becoming media personalities.

She added that the first season of the training has taken off, which would enable the students to spend three weeks in class and one week on radio programme. At the end of the programme, she said the organisation would give the best students job within the company and give the rest the option of internship with the company. She added that the company also gives an opportunity to disabled ones to be part of the training as part of ways giving back to the industry and society at large.

She said that the initiative was an opportunity to give back to the society. City FM is the first radio station that came out with initiative to train young people to become radio personality.

The students will come into the classroom and get theoretical training across all the subjects and courses, ranging from presenting, marketing, social media, mass production, voice training and so on.

According to her, the classroom is equipped in such a way that the students can actually come out and start to demonstrate the skills they acquired in class for two weeks, saying they can now move on air and go ahead to demonstrate again to present what they have learnt in the class.

"I like the fact that we are breeding a new generation of on-air personality of radio presenters. Some people in the industry are getting old, so we say let start training the new generation and giving them the opportunity in the society to be what they want to be and explore their talents and pursue their career opportunity," she added.