- Catholic Radio Journalist Murdered in Central African Republic
- Official Opening of the World Radio Day 2013 Platform
- Vatican Radio: From Short Waves to New Communications Strategies
- SSR Provides New Portable FM Radio Station
- Online campaign for Radio Shalom in Sierra Leone
- "Kalam Ke Geet", New Audio Production of WAVE Studio Lahore
- First UNESCO World Radio Day on February 13
- Community Media and the Arab Spring Conference to be held in Tunis March 2012
- “Value of Radio” Workshop in Lahore, Pakistan
- Vatican Radio: Around the World in 80 Years
- L’Osservatore Romano Offers Free Radio Program
- AMARC 10 Global Conference in La Plata, Argentina
- Australia’s Newest Catholic Media, CRADIO - An Internet Radio Station
- Suriname’s Radio Katolika on the Internet
- Radio Dialogue Losing Patience over Licence Delays
- Haiti: AMARC Calls on Community Broadcasters to Rally in Support
- Radio for Peacebuilding Africa Awards 2009 Promotes Empowerment and Peacebuilding
- Radio Program Empowers Young People in Cambodia
- Radio for Peacebuilding Africa Awards 2009
- Faith Satellite Radio and SIGNIS Services Rome Begin a New Phase
- 4th Pan African Conference of AMARC Africa Reinforces Community Radio Networks in Africa
- Radio Pacis in Uganda Wins Capacity Building Award
- Radio BOSCO FM 89.9 Celebrates its 4th Anniversary in the Solomons
- Radio Voices Without Frontiers 2009
- First World Congress of Catholic Radios Focuses on Identity and Future
- H2Onews: Vatican Radio at the Service of Worldwide Radio
- H2Onews: The Radio, the Modern Pulpit
- H2Onews: World Congress of Catholic Radio
- Faith Satellite Radio to Air American Catholic Radio Programming
- Faith Satellite Radio to Air Maryknoll Programming
- BBC Helps Award Winning Radio Pacis to Launch FM Frequency
- Bosco FM Celebrates 3 Years of Community Broadcasting
- Zimbabwe: Radio Dialogue Recording from Prison to Be Broadcast on BBC
- Cambodia: Catholic Church Uses Radio To Inform, Empower Youth
- Faith Satellite Radio Begins Shipping to Africa
- Catholic Radio Stations in the US Set to Double
- First Conference of AMARC Africa - MENA in Rabat, Morocco
- Portuguese-speaking Radios Meet in Portugal on the 10th Anniversary of VOX
- Voz Latina Radio wins another Gabriel Award
- 19th URTI International URTI Radio Grand Prix
- Kenya: Church to open three new radio stations
- Pakistan: WAVE Celebrates 30 Years of Interreligious Dialogue
- Faith Satellite Radio and SIGNIS to Offer Satellite Radio in Africa
- Radio RTK of Malta Celebrates 15 Years of Broadcasting
- Trinity FM, Catholic Radio Station of Papua New Guinea Celebrates 4th Anniversary
- RKK Calls for Easter Radio Programs
- Radio Bakhita, first Catholic radio station in Sudan launched
- Voz Latina Radio Wins Gabriel Award
- Radio for Peacebuilding Awards 2006
- AMARC Launches Forum on Social Impact of Community radio
- SIGNIS Africa Radio Workshop in Dar es Salaam: "Behaviour Change Through Radio"
- UNICEF/OneWorld Radio competition for Youth Broadcast
- Radio Dialogue: Speaking to the Community through "Taxi Tunes"
- AMARC Africa Round Table on Community Radio
- Community Radio to Come to Kiribati
- Malaysia’s First Community Based Online Radio Station Goes on Air
- Family Theater Productions podcasting Voz Latina dramatic radio series
- Listen to the “Voices of our World” online
- Radio BOSCO Solomon Celebrates its First Anniversary
- Pontiff Notes a Milestone for Vatican Radio
- Asia-Pacific gets new regional network for community radio
Malaysia’s First Community Based Online Radio Station Goes on Air
RadiqRadio, a project under the Centre for Independent Journalism (CIJ) was launched on Sunday 19 March 2006, marking a step towards building community media in Malaysia.
The project was first launched in 2001 with a team of eight staff producing a 15-minute news bulleting called Nada Nasional. Due to financial constraints, the project was shelved for three years.
In the last two years, CIJ obtained local and international support to revive the project. It is now being introduced as a model for community radio projects, as an online content provider. Its contents can be viewed at www.radiq.org..
At the launch, CIJ director Sonia Randhawa explained the importance of a community media in society.
"We have worked hard to get this project up and running, and we believe that it will be a turning point in the start of community media in Malaysia," she added.
As a community radio, RadiqRadio will focus on content prepared by the community and targeted at the community. Its staff will prepare news and analysis.
RadiqRadio has identified a partner who has agreed to use Cahayasuara Communications Centre’s content for their radio broadcast. It is expected that the broadcast over AM frequencies will be available in the 2nd quarter of this year.
Among the key features of RadiqRadio is the use of Bahasa Malaysia for its news and features programmes. However, community programmes that can include documentaries, dramas, music, story telling, poetry, education and entertainment can be produced in any languages.
RadiqRadio editor V. Gayathry said once the broadcast is available, groups and individuals will be able to produce programmes at a reasonable cost.
"As a community model, we will have advertisements and air time will be charged, but it is not driven by commercial interests," she said.
The Centre for Independent Journalism (CIJ) is a media organisation that aims to improve current Malaysian journalism practice and independence through advocacy, research and analysis, training and practical work. Started in 2001, CIJ has initiated various projects in developing grassroots communications skills through training, infrastructural support and direct action.
For more information:
Sonia Randhawa E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
V. Gayathry E-mail : email@example.com
Fax : 03.4023.0769
Source: Cahayasuara Communications Centre’s