- SIGNIS India Assembly Studies New Media for New Generation
- The 37th Japan Catholic Award Goes to "Never Let Me Go"
- Masscom Catholic Media Awards 2012 in South Korea
- Media Must Give Visibility to the Vulnerable, Says SIGNIS Asia Assembly 2012
- SIGNIS Asia Assembly To Focus on Modern Day Slavery
- SIGNIS-Carribean Hosts its 5th Annual Meeting in Barbados
- SIGNIS-Japan Awards Best Catholic Film and Elects New Officers
- Pontifical Council for Social Communications Visits Tele Lumiere in Beirut
- Africa’s Catholic Journalists Set to Meet in Kenya
- Emmy-winning Filmmaker Receives Award from University of Dayton
- SIGNIS India Assembly “Creating Images for a Better Tomorrow”
- 20th Anniversary of Rabita Manzil and New WAVE’s Productions
- Nepal Joins SIGNIS at SIGNIS Asia Assembly
- SIGNIS Asia Transmits Peace Message with New Generation
- SIGNIS and WACC Agree to Work More Closely
- World Youth Day’s First Arabic Song
- SIGNIS-Nigeria Celebrates FESTICATE in Abuja
- SIGNIS VJs to Cover World Youth Days 2011 in Madrid
- Budapest Hosts 2011 SIGNIS Europe Assembly
- Deutsche Welle Global Media Forum 2011
- SIGNIS-Caribbean Meets in St Vincent and Elects New Board
- SIGNIS-Pacific Calls for Pacific Broadband Expansion
- John Paul II Beatification in 3D and on the Web
- SIGNIS Japan Reacts to Huge Earthquake and Tsunami that Hit the Country
- SIGNIS Asia President Visits Nepal
- SIGNIS-Brazil Becomes the Largest SIGNIS Member in Latin America
- New Gabriel Award Category Focuses on Interfaith Media
- Catholic Journalists Called To Search for Truth
- SIGNIS India Video Journalists Cover Mother Teresa International Film Festival 2010
- Vatican to Host Catholic Journalists
- SIGNIS World President Visits the Solomon Islands
- SIGNIS Asia Assembly 2010 Announced
- SIGNIS Nigeria Inaugurated
- "Church on the Ball" Video Showcases the Work of the Catholic Church in South Africa
- Catholic Pacific Communication’s Group Meet in Sydney
- Religion Communication Congress 2010
- CIMA Awards 2010: "The Hurt Locker" and Sr Rose Pacatte Honoured
- Mutirao in Latin America: A Congress for a “Culture of Solidarity”
- Media at the Parliament of World’s Religions
- Spread the Word Using New Media, Says Pope to Social Communications Council
- SIGNIS-Caribbean Meeting Elects New Board
- European Assembly of SIGNIS in Berlin
- 43rd World Communications Day in Pakistan: "Naqib in Every Home"
- US Catholic Media Convention 2009
- 16th Catholics in Media Associates (CIMA) Awards
- "Christianity in the Middle East: Ancient Yet Ever New" Symposium
- Communication Bishops Meeting Studies New Media
- Season Greetings!
- SIGNIS Board Meeting Celebrates 80th Anniversary and Announces World Congress in 2009
- H2Onews: 80 Years of SIGNIS
- Chief Minister of Tamilnadu honoured by Santhome Awards
- 2008 Gabriel Awards Honour US Catholic Media
- ACPA Conference 2008
- WACC Congress Ends with a Call to Give Peace a Chance
- SIGNIS Asia Assembly Highlights Media Influence On Children
- First Catholic Media Festival in Kenya Focuses on Media as ’Third Parent’
- SIGNIS Asia Assembly 2008 in Cambodia
- SIGNIS-Caribbean Plans Ahead
- A Multimedia Platform for World Youth Days 2008: www.wydcrossmedia.org
- 5th Anniversary of Catholic Social Communications Cambodia
- Catholic Media Convention ‘Proclaimed it from the Rooftops’ in Toronto
- Catholics to Celebrate Evangelization Through New Media
- H2Onews: First World Congress of Catholic Universities’ Communication Departments
- WYD 2008: Pope Benedict to Text Messages to Youth
- 2008 Catholic Media Convention: ’Proclaim it from the Rooftops!’
- Cardinal Foley Honoured with a Special Award from Christophers
- New SIGNIS India Executive Committee Underline the Need for Intercultural Dialogue
- Western India Commits to More Effective Social Communications
- "New Media and Religious Transformations in Africa": Call for Papers
- Publisher Who Promoted Justice Wins Korean Bishops’ Top Media Award
- BOSCOM-India Discuss Citizen Journalism and Educommunication
- India: Media at the Service of Interreligious Understanding
- Korea: Catholics Involved In Media Ask Church For Support
- SIGNIS Board meeting in Bucharest
- Tenth Continental Assembly of the Computer Technology Network of the Church in Latin America
- India: "Communications at the Heart of the Community"
- SIGNIS Sri Lanka Gold Award for Prasanna Vithanage
- Pacific Media adopt Honiara Action Plan
- UCIP World Congress 2007 on Media and Religion: Risk or Opportunity?
- Ecumenical Conference on "Peacemaking in the World of Film: from Conflict to Reconciliation"
- Inauguration of the New SIGNIS General Secretariat
- SIGNIS Pacific Assembly 2007
- Pope Appeals to Media to Promote Beauty, Human Dignity
- Catholic Awards for Film, Radio and Television in Korea
- Catholic Academy Presents Gabriel Awards 2006
- Believin’ the Media: International Congress on Faith and Media
- SIGNIS-Europe Assembly 2006
- SIGNIS General Secretariat Soon to Be Moving
- SIGNIS-Asia Assembly 2006
- Catholic Communication Campaign Celebrates 25 Years Of Proclaim Awards
- AMECEA - IMBISA Communications Coordinators Meet in Maputo
- SIGNIS-Caribbean is born
- 50 Years of Catholic Broadcasting Association, Lahore
- World Communications Day 2006
- First Congress of SIGNIS in the Indian Ocean
- WACC Photographic Competition 2006
- Refresher Programme in Lahore, Pakistan
Nepal Joins SIGNIS at SIGNIS Asia Assembly
Kathmandu, October 26, 2011 (CM Paul) - Nepal became the latest member of SIGNIS Asia during the SIGNIS Asia Assembly held in Kathmandu from October 16-22 on the theme "Media for a Culture of Peace: Creating Images with the New generation".
The assembly unanimously endorsed Nepal’s membership following a meeting that saw representatives from 19 Asian countries and six delegates from Nepal gather in the country’s capital.
Chirendra Satyal, an organizer for the event, said membership for the country was an important step in the evolution of the country’s media and communications sectors.
"This means Nepal can directly network with members of other countries and our young people can get better access to Catholic institutions in other countries, which offer training in social communications."
Satyal, also a journalist and secretary of the country’s Catholic media commission, said Christian media faces significant challenges in the country.
"When we talk of Christian media on a nationwide scale, it is usually understood as non-Catholic media."
Though Protestants operate FM radio stations and produce films and video, and even run small communications centers, it remains difficult for them to enter the largely secular mainstream with professional productions, Satyal said.
He added that the Catholic Church "is still struggling even in the field of print media and is challenged to start a national communication center and train committed Catholics in the field."
About four percent of Nepal’s majority Hindu population is Christian, and only about 9,000 are Catholic.
The SIGNIS Asia assembly has passed resolutions to introduce a film festival and media awards, along with a branding plan to introduce SIGNIS in delegates’ respective countries. Delegates have also agreed to start a social media education workshop to help young people learn about media usage.