- Theme for the 2017 World Day for Social Communications
- Statute for Vatican’s Secretariat for Communications published
- Bishops in Ghana Appoint New Social Communications Director
- Seminar on Mercy in the media
- The Tanzania Episcopal Conference celebrates the 50th World Communications Day
- New changes at the Vatican Press Office
- Vatican bids farewell to Archbishop Celli
- CEPACS Calls for Closer Collaboration of Catholic Media Organizations
- Moroto diocese hosts the 50th world communications day celebration
- 50th World Communications Day
- Vatican Communication Reform
- The Salesian Communication Days
- Malaysian Lenten campaign promotes advocacy via social media
- Communicating in the language of the parishers
- WCD 2016: Pope Francis’ Message
- Reforming Vatican communications
- Ratzinger Prize awarded to Lebanese and Brazilian Professors
- Salesian Communication in America looks to the future
- WCD 2016: The theme is "Communication and Mercy: a fruitful encounter"
- Kenyan Catholic nun promoted to associate professor in communication
- Vatican and communication: looking at the year 2014
- New Commission to Reform Vatican Media
- Papal Message for World Communications Day 2015: "Communicating the Family: A Privileged Place of Encounter with the Gift of Love"
- Tanzania: Bishop Advocates the Creation of Social Media Apostolate in the Dioceses
- European Bishops Debate on the Church’s Presence on the Internet
- “Is it about “new media” when talking about “new Culture”?
- "Communication at the Service of an Authentic Culture of Encounter" - Pope’s Message for World Communications Day 2014
- "Communication at the service of an authentic culture of encounter": Theme of WCD 2014 Announced
- Pope Assesses Social Media Positively in Message for the World Communications Day 2013
- Pope’s Message for World Communications Day 2013: "Social Networks: Portals of Truth and Faith; New Spaces for Evangelization"
- World Communications Day 2013 to Focus on Social Media
- Benedict XVI Stresses Value of Silence in Message for World Communications Day 2012
- Pope’s Message for World Communications Day 2012: "Silence and Word: Path of Evangelization"
- Emergence of Internet a "Revolution", Says Pope in his Message for World Communications Day 2011
- Pope’s message for World Communications Day 2011: "Truth, Proclamation and Authenticity of Life in the Digital Age"
- H2ONews: Priests and the digital world
- Pope’s Message for World Communications Day 2010: "New Media at the Service of the Word"
- Catholic Communicators Back Pope’s Call for Priests to Use Digital Media
- Pope Urges Priests to Use Communications Media on Releasing the Theme of WCD 2010
- Vatican to Prepare New Document on Media
- Archbishop Celli Urges Use of Technology to Spread Message of Word
- Theology and Communications Conference in St John’s University, New York
- H2Onews: The Media, a Means of Evangelization
- Archbishop Celli Adresses European Communication Summit
- Communication and Theology in Conversation
- Communications Media: Common Good before Profit
- ’Go Tell Everyone’: A Vision for Evangelisation in a Modern Culture
- Pontiff Sees Media as Vital for the Gospel
- ’The Media: A Network for Communication, Communion and Cooperation’
Vatican Communication Reform
Rome, April, 28th, 2016 (Zenit). The reform of the Vatican’s various communications offices is underway and will end in 2018, unifying a very articulated structure. This was reported this week by the Prefect of the Secretariat of Communication, Monsignor Edoardo Vigano in an annual course that brings together both Church and secular journalists to consider the Church’s communication in a digital context.
“The reform stems from the idea that the most important patrimony is that of human resources,” he said, “not forgetting that with the reform an economy of scale comes into force, which makes possible a reduction of the costs, and this is important.”
It is “not about a coordination, or about changing the names of roles, but about the processes of communication and also about the means that form part of it,” so that it is “the most effective possible in keeping with the mission of the Church.” All this means reclassification, formation and updating processes.
For instance, it is necessary to know that the consumer of information on the Internet is also a transmitter. In other words, the scenario has changed, the means of accessing learning, the systems of knowledge. This new scenario — “without forgetting the great tradition of Vatican Radio and/or of L’Osservatore Romano — puts everything in an integrated framework of unitary management.”
The key points, indicated by the Prefect, “are new production processes. Today each means carries out its production in a vertical manner, and they must be thought in transversal ideas, a container that can serve all the outgoing channels, with attention to the interlocutors.”
How can realities with great glories be reformed? The method was christened as that “of the onion,” which is made of layers, extracts and, he joked, “it’s not called artichoke because an onion always makes a tear fall. In a process of reform, it isn’t pathological but yes physiological or natural for a tear to fall.”
The Prefect pointed out that the process began with a Motu Proprio, which in 2015 created the Secretariat of Communication, to which the Press Office and the Internet service were fused. The Pontifical Council of Communications was dissolved into the Secretariat because it became the Pastoral Theological Department. The Press Office continues and will be the office of institutional communication. The Internet service, instead, includes all the engineers and technicians of the Vatican Television Center and the Radio, and they are the vertebral column of the technological fusion.
In 2016 the Television and Radio have united, which is easy, but there is the difficulty of the Radio’s great redactions, with much personnel. Next year L’Osservatore Romano, the Libreria Editrice Vaticana, the photographic service and the typography will fuse.
In addition, the Secretariat created the Pontifex twitter account and Franciscus on Instagram. The moment of verification will be in 2018, with an economic consolidation at least in the economy of scale.