In 2009, the SIGNIS World Congress took place in Chiang Mai, Thailand, from October 17 -21, on the theme “Media for a Culture of Peace – Children’s Rights, Tomorrow’s Promise’.
Children are the most vulnerable members of society; without respect for their dignity and rights we cannot build a culture of peace. The members of SIGNIS work with others, at international, inter-governmental and local levels; to secure a better future for our children — tomorrow’s promise.
The Congress highlighted how the media can contribute to the building of a culture of peace, especially through the creative empowerment of tomorrow’s generation.
The objectives of the Congress are to:
- Promote a culture of peace and the rights of the child;
- Inspire and give a new impetus to Catholic media professionals to make a culture of peace and children’s right priorities in their work;
- Celebrate the creativity and take stock of the rich achievements of Catholic communicators;
- Reflect on the issue, sharing ideas, experiences, insights and strategies among communicators from across the world;
- Update communicators with knowledge and skills;
- Offer solidarity and mutual support to communicators, some of whom are working in very difficult situations.